Tacos are amazing. Tacos are great. Tacos are versatile and always flavorful and exciting. When in doubt, I always turn to taco-styled dishes for lunches or dinners. Taco salads, tacos, burrito bowls, etc.
This lentil taco meat is super easy to make, super cheap, and can be used in a variety of dishes. This is a great recipe to cook for meal prep, larger parties, or if you’re just really craving tacos and need a lot of taco meat.
This whole-food plant-based spin on a traditional beef dish will surely keep you satisfied. Enjoy!
Easy Vegan Lentil Taco Meat
2.5 cups dry green lentils (1lb. Bag)
4 tbsp taco seasoning mix
1 cup water
2 cups veggie broth (or 3 cups water)
- Red Salsa Mixture
1/2 cup chunky red salsa
1/2 cup water
2 chipotles in adobo sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
Juice from 1 lime
- Add your lentils, broth, water and taco seasoning mix to a pot. Bring to a boil and then simmer with the lid on for 18-20 minutes.
- While your lentils are cooking, blend together the salsa ingredients. If you don’t have a blender, just finely chop the chipotles and mix together well.
- When the lentils are done, drain any extra liquid or remove the lid and let it simmer off. Then, add the salsa mixture, mix in, and continue to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, and let the pot cool for about 5 minutes. Then, with a masher or immersion blender, roughly mash up the lentil mixture to get a meaty and slightly sticky consistency.
- Serve in tacos, salads, nachos, or whatever else you can think of!