The ultimate vegan challenge: making cheese that doesn’t suck. Most store-bought cheese I find to be somewhat odd and not very tasty, and the ingredients are usually bizarre or unhealthy.
But even as a plant-based eater, I still want my pizza, and I want it cheesy and stretchy and saucy. Don’t hold back, give yourself the fats you need and crave. Make this cheese, love it, eat it, love yourself, have a pizza party.
This easy-to-make vegan mozzarella cheese contains only 8 ingredients, most of which you may already have, or are very easy to find in your local supermarket. The only ingredients that may not be familiar are the miso and nutritional yeast. Most supermarkets will carry these items. I treat them as staples in my kitchen, and feel that everyone should stock up on them.
Easy Vegan Almond Mozzarella Cheese
1/2 cup slivered almonds
2/3 cup unsweetened soy or almond milk
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp miso, (optional, adds tanginess, sub more lemon and nooch)
1/2 tsp salt
Juice from one lemon
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
2 tbsp tapioca starch
- Add your almonds to a sauce pan and cover them with water. Bring the water to a boil, cover, and let sit for at least 30 minutes.
- When your almonds are ready, add all ingredients to a high speed blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Scrape down the sides with a spatula to ensure all ingredients are incorporated.
- Add your mixture to a sauce pan and bring the heat to medium. Continuously stir the mixture until it starts to thicken up, about 5-6 minutes. Continue stirring and scraping the sides and bottom to ensure the cheese does not burn.
- When your mixture is very sticky and gooey, remove from heat and it’s ready to go! See notes below for using on a pizza.
- When using this cheese on a pizza, only add it at the end or it will burn. It should only need to bake for 2-3 minutes. Use a spoon to smash them down a bit, as the cheese is pretty firm.